Travelling with Fido: Tips from the Harrison Beach Hotel team
Ready for your next great adventure? Breathtaking vistas, lush forests, world-class hot springs, local charm, great sightseeing, dining, attractions, and events, plus a stunning lake are all waiting to be discovered #JustUpTheRoad in Harrison Hot Springs.
But there’s more! WE LOVE DOGS. In fact, we love them so much that Harrison Beach Hotel is Pet-Friendly! (We offer several suites designated “Pet Friendly” so that your whole family can enjoy a Harrison Hot Springs getaway.)
So as you think about your own holiday to one of the most beautiful parts of British Columbia, plan to bring your Furry Friend too! Here are some tips for traveling with your dog to ensure your visit to Harrison Hot Springs will be fun for both the two- and four-legged members of your crew:
Before you travel →
- When booking your stay at Harrison Beach Hotel, simply request a Pet-Friendly Room when you book and familiarize yourself with our Pet Policies
- Consider Health & Safety. While definitely not fun to consider “worse-case scenarios”, being prepared in case of an emergency is the best way to mitigate stress:
- Book a health check-up for Fido before you travel to make sure he’s in tip-top shape
- Ensure vaccinations are up-to-date
- Consider having your dog microchipped–one of the best ways for a lost dog to get home
- Save your vet’s regular phone (and emergency) number in your cell phone
- Research the nearest emergency animal clinic to your destination hotel
Note: If you’ll be traveling by plane, there’s much more to consider–both in terms of the documentation that will be required and the things you’ll need to do, buy and bring. Here’s a good review care of Skyscanner.
What to bring →
Pack your dog’s regular and adventure gear!
- Collar/harness and leash (and back-up collar/harness and leash)
- ID tags with your pet’s name, phone number and alternate phone number (might also include a Proof of Rabies Vaccine tag)
- Extras (if your dog is a Fashion Maven), like sweaters, raincoats and boots
- Lifejacket: Plan to explore our rivers and lakes? Bring a high-quality dog life-vest
- GPS Device: Got one? Bring it.
- Your dog’s favourite toys, blanket and bed
- A recent photo of your dog in case he or she becomes lost
And stuff for his tummy:
- Your dog’s food and water bowls (though we do provide these in our Pet-Friendly Rooms)
- Enough of his regular food to last the length of your trip plus extra in case you decide to stay longer or get held-up
- Your dog’s medication (including regular daily meds and things you may need in case of injury or illness)
- Bottled water for your day-trips, hikes and adventures
- Your dog’s favourite treats
- Your dog’s travel crate. (A crate is mandatory for travelling by plane, but it can also be helpful to keep your pet safe in the car and in your hotel room. (Harrison Beach Hotel requires that pets left alone in our Pet-Friendly Rooms be crated.)
Note: Despite a handy check-list, chances are that something will be left behind. Don’t fret! Pampered Little Pooch Pet Boutique is just around the corner from Harrison Beach Hotel and has lots of goodies.
Coming by car?
- Even if your trip to Harrison Hot Springs won’t be long, tire your dog out before you head off
- Plan for frequent pit stops so that Fido can stretch his legs and relieve himself
- Keep water, treats, and poop-bags handy
- Stay safe! An anchored travel crate or crash-tested seatbelt harness are the safest ways for your dog to travel by car, and never leave your pet unattended in the vehicle
Coming by plane?
- Plane travel can be even more stressful for dogs than it is for us. Give good thought to how best to make the journey happy and easy for Fido
- Contact your airline before you book your flight (and well before you travel) to learn about their pet policies
- Read this post care of the Humane Society:
Travel safely with your pet by car, airplane, ship or train
Pet-Friendly Places To Go and Things To Do →
Once you arrive, the adventure begins! Whether you and your pup choose to lounge and luxuriate in front of the fireplace in your room at Harrison Beach Hotel, or get out and explore the area, we promise it’ll be a great trip. Here are some spots to check out and things to do (with Fido) in Harrison Hot Springs:
Take A Hike! One of our four-legged visitors’ fave things to do while they’re here is hike and explore. After all, Harrison Hot Springs boasts some of BC’s most beautiful hikes, and they’re even more fun to conquer with your best Fur-Friend. Tips:
- Unless clearly marked otherwise, keep your dog on-leash at all times to prevent them from frightening other hikers, chasing wildlife, or wandering too far
- Bring a travel dish and water and stop for breaks often. (Check out this post by the American Kennel Club about the symptoms of dehydration in dogs.)
- Fido says: bring treats!
- We say: bring your camera! Your adorable pooch + our breathtaking mountains = some truly Instagrammable moments.
Here are some of the Harrison Beach Hotel team’s fave trails — many of them are dog-friendly.
Go To The Beach: Harrison Beach is one of Harrison Hot Springs best, most beautiful destinations, and dogs are allowed on the beach as long as they’re leashed.
Spa Day: Treat your pooch to a Spa Day! At Spaw Dogz, they believe that “every dog deserves to look and feel their best.” Their swirling spa tubs are just the beginning of a pampering experience that awaits.
Dine Al Fresco: Patio season is upon us in Harrison Hot Springs and many of our local restaurants offer outdoor seating where your dog can join you. Here’s a round-up of some of our favourite Harrison Hot Springs eateries. (Old Yale Brewing is a popular brewery and taproom that allows leashed dogs to join in the fun.)
Make Friends: There are plenty of pet owners and pet lovers in Harrison Hot Springs, so your pup is likely to make friends while enjoying the adventure of a lifetime with the people they love the most.
Ready? We can’t wait to meet you and your dog. Plan your Harrison Hot Springs getaway today and then get in touch to book your Pet-Friendly Room at Harrison Beach Hotel. Be sure to ask about our Advanced Purchase Rate too.